The 10 best things to eat in Hackney (according to Tweat Up)
Looking for something nice to eat in Hackney? Here’s the good folks at Tweat Up‘s painfully hip and mildly nepotistic recommendations:
On the panel: Chefs/restaurateurs Angela Hartnett, Nuno Mendes and Stevie Parle, chef James Lowe, cook and Sunday Times food writer Gizzi Erskine, baker and writer Claire Ptak, wino Ruth Spivey, Eliza Flanagan, owner of Lardo and Coppa and bar/restaurant owner Jonathan Downey.
Hackney (and Dalston in particular) is best known for its Turkish restaurants but only three panel members voted for a Turkish anything and nowhere got more than one mention. The times they are a changin’.
In no particular order we think ‘The Ten Best Things to Eat in Hackney’ are:
- Moroccan Eggs and/or the homemade Crumpets/Pikelets at Railroad on Morning Lane.
- The Fish & Chips at Fin & Flounder, Saturdays at Netil Market.
- The Beef Short-Rib Tacos at Breddo’s Taco Shack, Saturdays at Netil Market.
- The Ribolitta (in autumn/winter) and Pistachio Cake at Lardo on Richmond Road.
- Parma ham, Mozzarella, Peaches at Mayfields, Wilton Way.
- Buttermilk Chicken & Pine Salt at The Clove Club in Shoreditch Town Hall.
- Saigon Prawn Pancake at Tre Viet on Mare Street.
- Hackney Wild Sourdough at E5 Bakehouse, Mentmore Terrace.
- Ginger & Molasses Cake at Violet on Wilton Way.
- Marmalade Bread & Butter Pudding at Reilly Rocket on Buckingham Road.
Okay so that’s actually 12 things but who’s counting? Anyway, we couldn’t stop there so we also decided to list:
‘The Ten Next Best Things to Eat in Hackney’
- Orecciette with cherry tomatoes and njuda at The Cooking Cooks, Thu-Sun at Netil Market.
- Steamed pork bun at Bao Bar, Netil Market.
- The Sausage Roll at the Ginger Pig, Lauriston Road.
- Dim Sum at Shanghai, Kingsland High Street.
- Okonomiyaki from ShoFooDoh at Pacific Social on Clarence Road (also at Chatsworth Road Market).
- Cinnamon Buns at Fabrique Bakery, Geffrye Street.
- Cured Meat Pizza at Sodo, Upper Clapton Road.
- The Jerk Chicken at Licky Chop at Climpson’s Arch, Helmsley Place.
- Sole, Daikon, Citrus Butter, Aniseed at Mayfields.
- Lots of things at Street Feast #DalstonYard but especially the Rola Wala Naan Wraps, Pork Buns from Yum Bun and Rainbo Gyoza.
So you’re bound to think we’ve missed out something brilliant and if we have, please let us know in the comments box below. Whilst doing this we thought it might also be useful to list all of the places that got a few mentions; so here is our list of the Best Places to Eat in Hackney. Please tell us who we’ve missed. We’re going to do Tower Hamlets next.
The Best Places to Eat in Hackney
- Bao Bar
- Breddo’s Taco Shack
- Cooking Cooks
- Crate Brewery
- E5 Bakehouse
- Fabrique Bakery
- Fin & Founder
- Licky Chop
- Lucky Chip
- Raw Duck
- Reilly Rocket
- Street Feast
- The Clove Club
- The Empress
- The Three Crowns
- Tre Viet
- Wilton Way Cafe
Speaking of hipster restaurants, if you’re thinking of opening your own, this handy tool below should help you come up with a name:
(via @elliegoodwin, @Marcus_Hickman and @tarrynblackwood)